A beautiful pair of ornate gates once stood at the entrance to the two power stations on the dockside. It is not known who designed them and when but they could be described as “art deco”. This would tie in with the building of Power Station A in 1927/28. If this is the case they would have then been moved to Station Road when Power Station B was erected in the 1950s.
The gates now stand in Gateway Terrace outside Portishead Primary School, which is very close to their last position when the Power Stations were functioning.
The Gordano Civic Society launched a campaign in autumn 2015 to get them repaired. Many of the joints had rusted very badly and the society had become increasingly concerned about their long-term future. The gates are the only visible clue left to remind people that two enormous power stations once stood by Portishead Docks.
Portishead Town Council and North Somerset Council provided significant sums towards the restoration project and donations were received from groups such as the Avon Local History and Archaeology Society together with proceeds from our own Posset Pieces series. The restored gates were re-erected in September 2016.
An explanatory board was erected alongside by the Society in 2018. See photo on left. Click photo to enlarge.
The Society instigated the replacement of steps to the beach below the Windmill pub. See News Feb 2006 for details. Click for enlarged photo.
Plaque installed by the Society in St Peter’s church in memory of Eve Wigan, a founder member of the Society. See News Nov 2006 for details. Click for enlarged photo.
A Commemorative Plaque was erected in 2003 to commemorate the late Fred E. Weatherly, writer of ‘Danny Boy’. Details >>
This plaque was erected in Brampton Way Gardens by the Society in memory of those killed by bombing in WWII. Click for enlarged photo.
Three Interpretation Boards were installed by the Marina in 2011. Click photo for more information.
The Society installed a bronze plaque on the mill stone outside the White Lion pub. See News Oct 2005 for details.
Town Council Chairman Dennis Miers planted a Golden Acacia tree at Wyndham Way on 16 Nov 2006 to commemorate 50 years of the Society , accompanied by Ken Crowhurst, Jim Dyer, Sandy Tebbutt and other Society members. Click for enlarged photo.
The two flower tubs at the top of Beach Hill were presented to the Portishead In Bloom by the Gordano Society.
Click for enlarged photo.
The Society raised funds to repair the Jubilee Flagstaff in Beach Road.
St. Peter’s clock face
In November 2017 a cheque for £1000 was presented by Sandy Tebbutt on behalf of the Society to the fund for the restoration of the clock face of St Peter’sParish Church. The clock was installed in 1887.
We are looking for a small team to repaint the railings around the flagpole at the junction of Beach Road East and South Avenue. The flagpole was originally erected to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee in 1897.