Gordano Civic Society

Founded 1956

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Search this site >> Gordano Civic Society logo

Projects

 

Power Station gates project


A beautiful pair of ornate gates once stood at theThe restored gates - click to enlarge entrance to the two power stations on the dockside. It is not known who designed them and when but they could be described as “art deco”. This would tie in with the building of Power Station A in 1927/28. If this is the case they would have then been moved to Station Road when Power Station B was erected in the 1950s.


The gates now stand in Gateway Terrace outside Portishead Primary School, which is very close to their last position when the Power Stations were functioning.


The Gordano Civic Society launched a campaign in autumn 2015 to get them repaired. Many of the joints had rusted very badly and the society had become increasingly concerned about their long-term future. The gates are the only visible clue left to remind people that two enormous power stations once stood by Portishead Docks.


Click to enlargePortishead Town Council and North Somerset Council provided significant sums towards the restoration project and donations were received from groups such as the Avon Local History and Archaeology Society together with proceeds from our own Posset Pieces series. The restored gates were re-erected in September 2016.


An explanatory board was erected alongside by the Society in 2018. See photo on left. Click photo to enlarge.





See all of our interpretation boards >>

St. Peter’s clock face

In November 2017 a cheque for £1000 was presented by Sandy Tebbutt on behalf of the Society to the fund for the restoration of the clock face of St Peter’s Parish Church. The clock was installed in 1887.

Photos of a visit to the tower >>

Portishead Radio Station

A section of a radio mast from the former Portishead Radio Station has been erected by North Somerset Council near the Leisure Centre. A new interpretation board giving details of the famous maritime radio station was erected nearby in January 2020.


Click photos to enlarge.

Memorial Slabs outside Parish Wharf

The United Reformed Church Hall in Woodhill Road, Portishead (built in the 1920s) was demolished in 2014. Slabs inscribed with initials had been laid around the external base of the walls of the hall, commemorating those who had helped fund its building, and some were saved. Some were given back to the families concerned. Fourteen of these slabs were laid in the grass by Parish Wharf (next to the picnic tables). In December 2022 they were removed and are now installed at Lorymer’s Park. Click photo to enlarge.

Memorial slabs from United Reformed Church hall - click to enlarge Portishead Radio Station interpretation board Portishead Radio Station interpretation board

WC&P Railway interpretation board

Gordano Civic Society, in cooperation with WC&P Railway Group and Portishead in Bloom, have jointly funded a new interpretation board about the old Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Light Railway. It was installed in June 2020 replacing an earlier one and stands on Wyndham Way opposite the Old Mill pub.

 

Click photos to enlarge.

WC&P Railway interpretation board WC&P Railway interpretation board

Recent projects:

Adelaide Terrace sign

Residents of Adelaide Terrace and members of the Gordano Civic Society gathered together before the latest lock-down in early November 2020 to unveil a metal sign on No. 1 Adelaide Terrace, now known as No. 9 Woodhill Road.


This beautiful 19th century terrace overlooks the Bristol Channel with far reaching, breath-taking views of beautiful sunsets and the Welsh hills. However, very few people realise it was named “Adelaide Terrace” by one of its early residents, if indeed it is generally known that this is the name of the terrace.  


Lady Caroline Boyle resided at No. 1. She had been lady-in-waiting to Queen Adelaide, wife of King William IV. Her full story can be read in No. 23 of Posset Pieces.


The cost of the sign came from the sale of Posset Pieces and the Society’s thanks must go to the residents of the terrace and members of 1st Portishead Scouts who gave invaluable help in getting the sign manufactured and fixed in place.

 

Click photos to enlarge.

Adelaide Terrace sign Sandy Tebbutt unveiling the sign

Watch video of unveiling >>

Donations >>

Would you like to donate to our Projects Fund?

Earlier Projects >> Latest Project >> Latest Project >>